Take This Groundhog Day Quiz and Be Amazed at What You Know
Date - 01/31/2023
Take this fun Groundhog Day quiz and be amazed (or alarmed) at what you know!
No looking ahead, please, but answers are provided after you’ve answered all the questions.
1. What year did Groundhog Day in America get started?
2. In what town does the celebrated Punxsutawney Phil hold his annual Groundhog Day festivities?
- Turkey Hill
- Shadow City
- Varmint Village
- Gobbler’s Knob
3. Punxsutawney Phil has a partner, one in a long line of much younger, female groundhogs bearing the same name. What is her name?
4. How old do records indicate that Punxsutawney Phil is?
5. Every year at the annual Groundhog Picnic, Punxsutawney goes on a drinking binge. What is his preferred beverage?
- Cold beer with acorns encrusted in ice from a newly broken pond
- Smoothie of asparagus sprouts with chia seeds from New Zealand
- Hot green tea with dried maple leaves, stirred with the whisker of a rabbit
- Arctic water mixed with tears of a ruffled grouse
6. According to legend, for each annual drinking binge that Punxsutawney Phil indulges in, his life is extended by how many years?
7. What is Punxsutawney Phil’s accuracy in predicting the weather?
8. Punxsutawney Phil is not the only critter in the weather-predicting business. Other groundhogs have “spun-off” because of Phil’s fame. In New York, Stanton Island Church is a popular competitor of Punxsutawney Phil. What is Stanton Island Chuck’s accuracy rate in his seasonal forecast?
9. In what year did Harold Ramis and Danny Rubin create the movie, “Groundhog Day”?
10. Who played the male lead in the movie “Groundhog Day”?
- Bill Murray
- Tom Hanks
- Harrison Ford
- Jim Belushi
11. Who played the female lead in the movie “Groundhog Day”?
- Diane Keaton
- Andie McDowell
- Bette Midler
- Gilda Radner
12. Across the United States and Canada, groundhogs go by lots of common names. Which of the following common names below is NOT a term for groundhogs?
- Land Beaver
- Dry Otter
Here are the answers:
- a. 1887
- d. Gobbler’s Knob
- c. Phyllis
- c. 137
- d. Arctic water mixed with tears of a ruffled grouse
- b. 7
- d. 50%
- d. 80%
- b. 1993
- a. Bill Murray
- b. Andie McDowell
- c. Dry Otter
If you scored 10-12, you’re a Groundhog Guru
If you scored 8-9, you’re a Wise Woodchuck
If you scored 6-7, you’re a Middling Marmot
If you scored 4-6, you’re a February Failure, but don’t worry! Groundhog Day will come around again next year…unless you’re caught in a time warp and get to take the quiz again and again until you get all the questions right!